Peapod - $10 off first order with code: AFFL3

Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Decision

So, this is my first blog. I've had an account opened for several months. And I haven't had anything to say. More accurately, I was uneasy about what to write. It's a bit intimidating to think that my blog is going to be posted for all to see...I want to make sure what I have to say is of great consequence - vital - important - at least a little interesting. And then I just figured...eh, well...

This evening - I was picking up some Easter basket stuff at Walmart and I got an idea. Well, you read the title of my blog, but, as if you still didn't know...while hunting for cheap Easter basket items (anything below a dollar) I was conjuring up images about getting together with my extended family tomorrow for Easter dinner. We'll be gorging on ham (I think we'll have three all together), my father is marinating leg of lamb even as I type, my wife is making several chocolate cream pies, and that's just what I know about. I'm sure there will be stuffed mushrooms and casseroles, and bacon bits flavoring all sorts of side dishes. For the past two weeks I've been abstaining from meat...for Passiontide...I'm Catholic. And after  two weeks I'm ready to break fast.

And then, just while I was imagining what sort of ham might be served - glazed, baked, roasted...I just thought - "What if.."

No more meat.

Would it be a big deal? Would it be hard? Would it be significant? Would I change over time? Would this be one of those "life" journeys that movies are made out of or that inspire a show on Oprah? Or would I just be miserable and crabby.

So, here's how it'll work. No meat for a year. That seems too simple. I was just gearing up to break it down - but I guess, that about does it. No meat. There.

I'm not giving up tomorrow. Sorry, but, no. I'm eating pig and baa baa sheep tomorrow. Not to mention, I don't know a thing about abstaining from meat for any extended period of time. I mean, I've probably been malnourished during the past two weeks. I've eaten a whole lot of fish-fillet sandwiches at McDonalds and frozen fish products from aisle 12 in the grocery store. I've fed myself boxes of Mac & Cheese, frozen vegetarian dinners from the organic section (which, by the way are outrageously priced).

It's settled. I'm going to do this thing. But I have many unanswered questions. What sort of vegetarian will I be? According to a quick Google, there are several. What am I going to eat? Where am I going to shop? I live in rural Virginia - we don't have seaweed around here. Am I going to have to eat seaweed? I'm going to need a cookbook, too. Ok, there's a bunch of stuff I have to work out. I'll give myself a week. A week to educate myself and a week to gluttonize myself on meat. Oh, don't worry, I probably won't - it's a bad idea anyway...I probably should try to wean myself off like people do when they quit smoking.

It will all begin on April 11, 2010 and that doesn't give me much time to educate myself and develop a plan.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment