Peapod - $10 off first order with code: AFFL3

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

"Simplicity is the nature of great souls"


We took a family walk last night and sort of walked around outside tonight. It was a little more activity than normal so I’m going to give myself a thumb up. My meat eating is dwindling already. With only four days left, I thought I’d be binging in these last few days – but I’m really not craving anything.

                    I got some good advice from a new friend I met on vegpeople.com. I’ll paraphrase, “Chill” - I was bugging out over whether I have what it takes to maintain the regimen of a daily vegetarian. I pictured myself waking up before Donald (our Rooster) and spending an extra hour or so in the kitchen preparing an assortment of vegetarian munchies to snack on throughout the day. I’d also prepare my main lunch entrée which may or may not need cooked. There I was, in my mind’s eye chopping and slicing; cutting and spreading; pureeing and sautéing…might be fun for a ...week? I panicked. Fringy, came to the rescue. “Don’t worry. Keep it simple. You know, if you don’t want to spend an hour each morning…you don’t have to.” Huh, I said to myself. That’s a thought.

                    I do this all the time. Jamie’s always telling me (after we get some sort of good news) “Can’t you just be happy for a minute?” Instead, I’m thinking what needs to be done for us to deserve the ‘good news’ and maintain the ‘good news’ – whatever it might be. “Chill. Don’t worry. Keep it simple.” Hmm. This may not sound like much to most people out there, (all my five followers) but it strikes a cord with me. And it also seems a natural slogan for those living the vegetarian lifestyle. There’s a certain vibe when you pursue vegetarian websites, blogs, periodicals, books…Maybe I’ll use it like a mantra for a while.

Chill. Don’t worry. Keep it simple.

                    Even more important than the advice…my perception of humanity has improved. I have met many thoughtful, passionate, and helpful people in my recent experience with online communities. All of these strangers have offered me encouragement, advice, and stories of their own experiences. Strangers. I always was told to stay away from strangers – they’re strange, after all – and up to no good. Most strangers could be your friend. Probably not what I’ll teach my kids…
                                                                                                                                                                            


      

No comments:

Post a Comment