Peapod - $10 off first order with code: AFFL3

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter - Three Hams and A Leg of Lamb

I've gotten a mixed batch of feedback. Some share their own decision to remove meat from their diet and their success. Others - largely members of my extended family think I'm nuts and won't last the week. Luckily, I"m a bit obstinate and their words of doubt only serve to motivate me further. My family tends to encourage by using this unusual approach. I guess they don't want me to suffer "the big head".

I turned to my wife, Jamie, regarding my concern of weight. "Do you think I'll lose some weight?" I asked - in typical fashion - not with a trace of suggestion to indicate my real worry. "I"m sure," she responded with a complete guarantee. "But, you know, I can still eat sugar and butter and cake and cheese and ice cream..." my voice stretched over several octaves as I attempted to convince her that I was about to embark on a journey that was sure to expand my weight to extremes I have not yet dreamed possible. I have seven days until the big elimination and I suppose these are the games meat demons play when they face dethronement. Jamie reminded me that most vegetarians do not choose this diet simply to become unhealthy eaters. In fact, she emphasized, they actually want to eat well and focus somewhat on their overall health. This lightbulb moment helped me keep the demons at bay. I'm still on board. I won't give in. I have a mission.

I'm going to be a basic vegetarian this year. For me, that means I will be allowed to eat dairy products and occasional fish. Pretty simple rules. So far, that's about all I know. I have a week to educate myself. My number one concern at the moment is having a game plan. I'm afraid of how often I'm going to have to shop for food. Vegetarians eat vegetables...so, vegetables rot and wilt and stink when they do rot and wilt. So it will be necessary for me to shop for groceries more often. I'm also nervous about finding the products I need in my rural community. Our local grocery store has tomatoes, ice berg lettuce, onions, cucumbers...I'm going off the top of my head so I don't want to totally sell them short...but I really cannot think of many more choices than these. Then finally, the cost. Being healthy costs more than not. This is society's way to exercise Survival of the Fittest or ridding the world of excess baggage - I'm sure of it.

I would like to feel a little more confident about these preliminary issues by the end of the week. I certainly would rather hit the starting gate with a strong footing and a positive attitude.

All that said, the ham and lamb was GREAT! The lamb - I could cut with a spoon. Now, that's a true test for tender. I'll be enjoying the leftovers while I mull over these notions.
   

4 comments:

  1. I think you will be surprised how thin you will get. You should check out the Jane Brody cookbooks. This is gonna be fun to watch! I'll be following!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll get Jamie to take a before photo to post...what to wear? Thanks for the tip - I'm looking at books today and I'll check out Jane Brody.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I came over from the vegpeople forum. I just had a couple of things to say. My husband and I have been vegetarian for 3 years now. It wasn't easy at first, but now it really is. Going out to eat is difficult sometimes, but it may just be the area we live in. A good cookbook is "The Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes" cookbook by Robin Robertson. As far as cost goes, Meat is expensive. When you aren't buying that it gives you more to spend on fruits and veggies. Vegetarian convenience foods are expensive though. We try to stay away from the tv dinners and such. Plan your week and shop around that. It cuts down on the waste a lot. Good luck on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, hunnyb38! I'll check out that cookbook and maybe post a few recipes that really work for me. Some of the things I want to consider down the line is organic/ natural/ whole foods versus grocery store produce, also family dynamics - while my wife, Jamie, is very supportive, she isn't ready to make this change yet so there will be meat cooking going on...I have a very large extended family around and I'm interested to see how it goes during our family get-togethers...I'm sure it will be an eventful and growing experience. Thanks for coming along for the ride!

    ReplyDelete