Peapod - $10 off first order with code: AFFL3

Sunday, April 11, 2010

I am a vegetarian! I can’t believe it! This is the most exciting…well, I’ve been looking forward to it for over a week. I had such high hopes for both my Eve induction into my new life and for my first day celebration. As the day approached, my imagination went wild. A thick steak – perfectly cut and cooked – dripping with flavor….on and on…Well, I’m broke and blah, blah, blah…I fried some chicken – which usually turns out scrumptious – not so much last night – it was gross. And my first vegetarian meal: Mac and Cheese – Lucian dumped most of the milk on the floor so it was mostly cheese powdered noodles and a few asparagus with butter. I thought better than writing out the recipe and posting it – though, it’s pretty much as stated.

I was able to get a big bag of Kale – I saw a recipe for Kale chips that looks good. You toss the leafy parts (trim the stems) around in a bowl with a little olive oil and bake them in the oven and then sprinkle them up with some seasalt. Can’t wait to try it. I got a bag of brown basmati rice – takes an hour to cook! Waiting 20 minutes for rice was always a chore for me…a whole hour? – That’s going to take planning.  And I got a pre-boxed chili mix. You add a can of beans and a can of diced tomatoes.  – I know, this whole thing sound completely pathetic. But it’s my first day! I have 363 days left. When I was checking out – you know how the cash register spits out coupons for you (I hate those – I’ve NEVER used a coupon the register spits out) – anyway, today it spit out 1.00 off coupons for Lean Cuisine…things are moving up. I’ve never had the register suggest “Healthy” choices for me! I guess it really is a new day.

My belt broke. It just snapped in two while I was dressing for church. I’m deciding it was because it was old and not for any other reason. I do feel, however, there’s some significance in the incident. Preferably something like: Don’t hold me back from achieving my potential…rather than referring to…something else.

I’m reading a vegetarian starter kit I got online from Vegetarian Times magazine. It’s a great source for inspiration for newbie’s. Dried figs. I love figs!

Vegetarian Starters:

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy being a vegetarian and creative during Lent as we do not eat meat for the entire season until Easter. The first 3 weeks I go all out and try new things, but the last couple weeks I tend to lose enthusiasm. I find that the hardest part is keeping good foods around the house to snack on and I feel like I fill-in with a lot of carbs. You are starting at a great time of year with the grocery stores full of fresh fruits and veggies. For me, I have to shop at an attractive grocery store, if the produce looks appealing I buy and eat it!

    ReplyDelete